Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Next Step

Thanks to my awesomely patient wife for continuing to indulge whatever weird tangent I happen to embark upon! This being said, I got me some fruit trees! Yeehaw! I went to Lowe's this evening, and got the mother of all employee discounts. I picked up four semi-dwarf fruit trees tonight. I picked up two varieties of plum trees and two varieties of peach trees. I'm planning on putting two alongside the driveway and two in the back yard, parallel to the garden, but out of the way. In case it wasn't obvious, I'm pretty pumped. I absolutely love plums, and Kaylin loves peaches, so it definitely works out. There is only one small problem. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Oh, sweet and glorious interweb, please help thy humble and faithful servant! The few things that I could remember, I've already put in place. Thanks to the memory of college classes taken a decade ago, I did buy different varieties to help with pollination. So, there's that. I plan on digging really big holes, tying supports and finding decent organic fertilization and pest control options in the next couple days. Luck? Yeah, I'll take some of that.

On the garden front, I've got some pretty great early signs of success. Over half of my tomato plants have little green tomatoes growing on them, several little yellow squashes are beginning to develop, there are several yellow bush beans beginning to form, and jalapenos seem to be getting an early start as well.

Several days ago I cleaned out the weeds and grass along the back fence line, tilled a little earth, and put in about forty sunflowers. I have no idea whether these guys will work out, but the thought of ten foot tall sunflowers along the back of the garden is almost as good as the real thing. I dropped in a few more cucumber and squash seeds today to try and get a second run of those plants to come up. They should be about six weeks behind the plants I've already put in, so hopefully I'll be able to continue to have production through the summer. I plan on putting more in on July first to try and get a last gasp in early fall.

I've been listening to a ton of Bob Dylan lately, so I won't bore you with all that goodishness. Seems like a Bob word, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment